Sunday 4 June 2017

SUMMER SALAD WITH MANCHEGO & CHORIZO

We have just had a wonderful holiday in the Caribbean and now it is back to reality with a bump....piles of washing, tight jeans and post holiday blues. Despite definitely gaining a few pounds, the diet isn't going to start until Monday so we decided to cook a couple of nice meals over the weekend starting with this salad which we had as a side with a barbecue. It took about 20 minutes in total but was very easy.

Ingredients for 4 people (as a side):

350g broad beans
210 peas (frozen or fresh)
150g chorizo
100g rocket or watercress or lambs lettuce
100g Manchego cheese, cubed
10g fresh mint, sliced
Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon


Start by podding the broad beans - I found this to be a brilliant job for my daughter Arabella. Meanwhile as I was using frozen peas, I began by cooking these in boiling water for 4-5 minutes (according to the packet's instructions). Once ready, drain and then refresh under cold running water. If you are using fresh peas, these will only take 3 minutes and so you could cook these with the broad beans (however I did mine separately). 

If like me you are using frozen peas, cook the broad beans next in boiling water for 3 minutes and then rinse with cold water once again.




Add the broad beans and peas to a large bowl with the lettuce, mint, lemon juice and lemon zest and season.



Meanwhile either barbecue the chorizo or cut it into slices and fry it in a pan until cooked through.



Cut the cheese into cubes and then add the cheese and chorizo to the salad, mix and serve.





This tasted really fresh and summery and was the perfect accompaniment to a barbecue lunch. My husband Pascal reckoned it tasted "too healthy" and would have added a dollop of olive oil or a portion of pasta. Personally I wasn't complaining, I loved the lemon and mint as it was a reminder that winter is over (although according to the weather forecast it might be back next week)! This is a great side and even though I don't like to tell my husband he is right (ever), I think it would also taste great with some pasta and a good glug of olive oil mixed in.

Nutrition Facts Widget Image

No comments:

Post a Comment