Saturday 25 March 2017

TOFFEE APPLE DUMP CAKE

My ex mother in law came for tea last week and so it gave me the perfect excuse to bake a cake. I LOVE cake even more than normal at the moment as I have given up chocolate for lent - it hasn't made me cut down on sugar like I hoped, and instead, I have just gorged on other sugary treats like liquorice allsorts, Krispy Kreme donuts and haribo!! Anyway I had found this recipe in Olive magazine a couple of months ago and it seemed easy enough so I decided to give it a go. Unfortunately Fulham seem to be having a toffee drought so I had to use fudge instead, I don't think it made too much of a difference. The cake took about an hour and fifteen minutes to make plus cooling time.

Ingredients for 9 people:

125g butter
225g dark muscovado sugar (I used light as that is what I had in the cupboard)
2 eggs, beaten
225g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
200g cooking apples, peeled, cored and diced
100g soft toffees, chopped into pieces (I used fudge)

Frosting
100g butter (at room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g icing sugar
Toffee or caramel sauce



Heat the oven to 160C / 140C fan / gas mark 3.

Put the butter and muscovado sugar in a food processor or use a mixing bowl and mixer and whizz for a couple of minutes, then blend in the beaten eggs. Next add the flour, baking powder and whizz until combined. Finally stir in the apple and toffee pieces.









Pour the mixture into a buttered, base-lined 20cm square tin/baking dish and bake for 1 hour or until golden and risen. Remove from the tin and cool.



To make the frosting, beat the butter, vanilla and icing sugar with 3 tablespoons of toffee sauce until smooth. Spread over the cake and then drizzle over some more sauce to finish just before you tuck in.










I have never ordered an apple flavoured pudding in a restaurant like apple crumble or tart tatin as I didn't believe it was my thing....I am now seriously regretting all the years I have missed out....as this apple and toffee cake was seriously amazing. I am proud to say my ex mother is law loved it and so did I. I adored the cake so much I have managed to eat 8 portions in 3 days 🐷🐷🐷. The apple, the fudge, the frosting, the cake - it was all obscenely good and so easy to make. I would recommend as an afternoon treat or a pudding....or even for breakfast - it is absolutely delectable.

Nutrition Facts Widget Image

2 comments:

  1. Wow made this cake to take to my friends bbq..what a hit! It was spook delicious. Thanks Emma jane.. .I'm loving your recipes, so simple yet so tasty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words - I am pleased the cake went down so well. I love it too xx

      Delete