Sunday 19 February 2017

ONE PAN PUTTANESCA

I am terrible at just cooking for myself - if my husband or daughter are not around I tend to live off soup or chocolate or now, as it is coming up to Easter, I love a hot cross bun - although it's not exactly a well balanced meal. Anyway I found this recipe in Olive magazine and knew I had to give it a go - I loved that everything cooks in the same pan plus it is for one person - simple, quick and easy. Apparently the idea of cooking the pasta in its sauce is all over Pinterest at the moment. The pasta soaks up the flavours and the starch from the pasta makes the sauce rich and creamy.

Ingredients for 1 person:

4 anchovies, chopped
A pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
1 tbsp nonpareille capers
8 black olives, sliced
2 vine - ripened tomatoes, diced
4 sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
100g short pasta such as penne
2 tbsp olive oil
1 clove of garlic, crushed
A handful of basil leaves
200-300ml vegetable or chicken stock 



Chop and prepare all the ingredients and then put them in a pan and cover with the stock. You don't want to put too much stock as otherwise the sauce is too watery but you want the pasta to be covered. Season with a good grind of black pepper. 





Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 8-12 minutes, stirring the pasta occasionally to coat in the sauce. After 8 minutes try the pasta and then serve when it is ready with a couple more leaves of basil.




As a cheese addict, I added a sprinkling of Parmesan to mine however it wasn't really necessary, it was delicious on it's own. I loved all the flavours - the saltiness of the capers, anchovies and olives, the freshness of the basil and the sweetness of the tomatoes. I didn't add chilli but I can imagine it gives the dish a good kick.

I loved how easy this was to cook and the fact that you only needed one pan - less washing up is always a bonus. A perfect meal for one.

Nutrition Facts Widget Image

No comments:

Post a Comment