Thursday 27 August 2015

BLT CHOPPED SALAD

The other day I went to the supermarket without a list which is very unlike me - I then had a major panic as I had no idea what I wanted to buy. I ended up having a look at the millions of recipes I save on Pinterest (but never cook) and came across this salad - unfortunately it was from an American site so used cups instead of grams and so I had to make a few alterations. Plus I also didn't realise in order to view the recipe directions I then had to sign up to another website so I had to improvise - thankfully it was a success.

Ingredients for 3 people as a side or 2 people as a main:

150g lettuce (you can use just one type like iceberg or a combination such as iceberg and rocket)
200g of tomatoes, quartered/chopped depending on whether you use a big tomato or cherry tomatoes
12 slices of streaky bacon, chopped
1 tin of sweetcorn (198g), drained 
1 avocado, chopped
150g goat's cheese (or you could use feta), chopped
1 tbsp of olive oil
Juice of half a lime
Salt and pepper



Grill the bacon - I had to do this in two batches and it took about 15 minutes. Cut into strips.



Tear the lettuce into a bowl.



Add the chopped avocado.



Next put the chopped tomatoes in the bowl.



Add the drained sweetcorn.



Then the cut up goat's cheese.



Finally add the streaky bacon to the salad.



To make the dressing, mix a tablespoon of olive oil with the juice of half a lime and season well according to taste.



Pour the dressing over the salad, toss together and tuck in!



This was a very good salad - surprising really as it has such a light dressing and normally I like to drown my salads in good old Pizza Express salad dressing. The flavours in the salad are delicious and go really well together although you could jazz it up by adding olives or using sun blush tomatoes instead of regular tomatoes - the world is your oyster! We had it as a side with some burgers but I would very happily eat it as a main dish. Even my daughter Arabella enjoyed it despite claiming she doesn't eat lettuce and my husband Pascal normally prefers salads to be as simple as possible but he devoured it. A big thumbs up from us all!

No comments:

Post a Comment