Wednesday 8 October 2014

PESTO TURKEY BURGERS

I haven't been cooking much recently - firstly I have been doing the 5:2 diet which seemed to be going well until I weighed myself…I am still carrying quite a bit of holiday weight!! So this week is all about the how to lose a stone in a week diet - so so dull. 

Anyway I did do a couple of new recipes recently, firstly was pesto turkey burgers. I will admit I much prefer any other mince than turkey but turkey is healthiest plus I had some in the freezer (we had made tacos with turkey recently instead of beef and you couldn't taste the difference)!

These were super simple to make although it is good to chill them in the fridge for at least an hour so they don't fall apart when you cook.

Ingredients for 2 people:
250g turkey breast mince
2 tbsp basil pesto
1 continental onion or 2 spring onions
Olive oil spray or tbsp of olive oil

Optional:
cheese slices
Ciabatta rolls
Salad - tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, avocado, olives
A dollop of pesto to serve



In a large bowl mix together the mince, spring onion and pesto, and then season.



Using damp hands, shape the burgers into 4 even sizes.


Put the burgers in the fridge for an hour.

In a large non stick frying pan, add some olive oil spray or a tablespoon of olive oil and fry the burgers for about 4 minutes on each side until nicely browned and completely cooked through with no pink meat on the inside. 



If you want to add cheese, once the burgers are cooked add some cheese slices and pop it all under a hot grill for a minute until melted.



Finally serve - Arabella had hers with avocado, tomatoes, olives, cucumber and a dollop of pesto.


I had mine with lambs lettuce, avocado, tomatoes and also a dollop of pesto.


Tasty and healthy - we both enjoyed the pesto turkey burgers however we did say next time we will add a stronger cheese such as goat's cheese which will make the dish more flavoursome.

A perfect mid week meal - as I mentioned at the beginning you could put the burgers in buns and another alternative would be to use pork mince instead of turkey or even leave out the cheese (never going to happen with me)! A very versatile recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment