Tuesday 22 July 2014

SPINACH & PINE NUT GRATIN

I am a HUGE fan of the TV show 24, I would even be tempted to say it was the best series I have ever seen…..and I have watched a lot of television in my time! So when 24 returned to our screens this year, I recorded every episode so Pascal and I could watch them all in one go and that is exactly what we did on Sunday - we literally spent all day on the sofa in our pjs…..it was bliss!

Obviously we had to eat so we cooked a Roast Pork Belly and as a side we decided to try something new…..Spinach and Pine Nut Gratin.

We made the recipe according to the instructions but then only actually used half the cream mix as it would have been far too creamy with it all - so ignore all the eggs etc in the picture and just follow the ingredient list below.

Ingredients for 4 people:

10g butter
75g pine nuts
2 onions, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
6 thyme sprigs, leaves picked
450g spinach
A big pinch of ground nutmeg
2 eggs
225ml skimmed milk
75ml whipping cream


Preheat the oven to 180 C / gas mark 4 & grease a serving dish.

Slice the garlic, onions and pick the thyme leaves.


Heat the butter in a frying pan until foaming and then add the pine nuts for a few minutes, stirring often, until golden.


Then add the garlic, onion and thyme to the pan and fry gently for around 10 minutes until they are sweet and softened.


While this was cooking, I made the sauce. To do this just beat together the eggs, milk and cream together and then season.


Once the onions etc are cooked start adding the spinach in batches - I always find it amazing how spinach decreases in size. Stir all together and cook until you have added all the spinach and all the leaves have wilted.



Season well and a little nutmeg to taste.

Spread the spinach mixture into a dish and then cover with the cream mixture.



Cook in the oven for 35 minutes and then rest for 5 minutes before serving - it would be great with just a green salad or chicken or fish or roast lamb or pork (as we did). To be honest it would go with anything!



It tasted delicious - nutty but green and the garlic really stands out. My only complaint was that I should have added a cheese topping! I really enjoyed it but I would have preferred it with some cheese but then again, I am a cheese freak. Let me know what you think….

No comments:

Post a Comment