Sunday 11 May 2014

TOMATO AND BASIL FRITTATA

I was trying to be healthy last week without actually dieting - I didn't drink and then I ate lots of protein like salmon, chicken and eggs with plenty of salad. I always think eggs are good as they keep you fuller for longer which is no bad thing for a piglet like me! 

I had found this recipe in an old Olive magazine, so I bought all ingredients but really wasn't excited about it and even considered doing another frittata with cheddar cheese, bacon and onion instead - but that certainly wouldn't be healthy!! Anyway I cooked this, it was super quick and easy and I was very pleasantly surprised!

Ingredients for 3 people:

4 spring onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
14 cherry tomatoes
8 eggs
1 big handful of fresh basil, torn
10 teaspoons of cream cheese
Salt & pepper
Salad, to serve


Preheat the oven to 180 C / gas mark 4. It is best to prepare all the ingredients first. Crush the garlic, chop the spring onions, tear the basil and beat the eggs - don't forget to season!



Add a large knob of butter to a frying pan and cook the onions and garlic for a couple of minutes.



I found the garlic cooked very quickly. Then add the tomatoes and cook for another couple of minutes.


Mix the basil in with the beaten eggs and then add to the pan. Stir briefly and cook for about 3 minutes until the bottom is set.


Add dollops of cream cheese and then bake in the oven for 10 minutes until golden and set.



Finally serve with a green salad.


We added some avocado to our salad and I enjoyed the meal much more than I expected - the cream cheese works really well with the eggs and tomato, I think feta would work as well. I would probably add more basil next time though. A great lunch or supper especially for sunny days….if we ever have them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment