Wednesday 15 January 2014

SALMON WITH ROASTED GARLIC & ROSEMARY

I think I was one of the last people on earth of my generation to have an iPhone - I was addicted to my pink blackberry, especially bbm and I always found the typing on the iPhone impossible. However last year, I finally switched and now I can't believe I didn't do it years ago. I am officially obsessed with it and all the different apps can keep me busy for hours.
My current favourite is Pinterest, it is AMAZING as there is so much to look at. Pinterest is basically a pinboard-style photo-sharing website where you can collect and organise the things that inspire you ranging from pictures of exotic destinations, art & craft ideas, home and decor inspiration and obviously my favourite category is the food and drink one! If you like something, you "pin it" and you can create different mood boards for each subject - in essence it is a virtual pin board and you can have as many as you like. 

My food boards are a plenty - I have one for sweet treats, another for starters, another for diets, another for lunch, another for burgers and then the biggest of all is my one for main meals. After collecting so many new recipes I thought I better start actually cooking from them and I started off with this salmon dish.

As you probably know by now I think it is important to have fish for supper at least once a week and salmon is full of benefits for your body, brain, health and even looks - apparently it adds sparkle to your hair, nails, skin and eyes. This recipe looked very easy, very quick and very healthy so perfect for a quite Tuesday night at home.

Ingredients for 2 people:

2 salmon fillets (around 250-300g)
2 garlic cloves (I love garlic but this might be too much for some people, if so just half the amount)
1 tbsp of fresh rosemary, chopped
Sea salt & black pepper


Preheat the oven to 220 C / 200 C (fan). Chop the garlic and rosemary into small pieces….I used scissors for the rosemary which made it much easier! 


Line a baking tray with baking paper and then scatter the garlic and rosemary over the salmon. Add a generous amount of salt and pepper - I did 3 twists of each grinder on each fillet!


Place in the oven for 10-12 minutes. I did 12 minutes but it was slightly too long for me but it is up to you….next time I will do 10. You just need the salmon to be flaky.


Finally serve with some vegetables - I had mushrooms roasted with garlic and salt (stay away from my breath)! Arabella had carrots as she is not a fan of mushrooms.



It was a very simple, easy recipe and it was delicious - the combination of garlic and rosemary pairs beautifully with the salmon. It is also so low calorie - my salmon fillet was 120g and with the garlic and rosemary it was maximum 220 calories. I didn't use oil with the mushrooms and instead used Fry Light olive oil spray and you couldn't taste the difference yet it was 6 calories rather than 119 - that is maths I like!!

The whole meal was 265 calories - great for the new year diet and tasty too. It's not something I would serve for friends to be honest unless I did an amazing side dish but it is great for an everyday evening supper. Arabella enjoyed it too and it is much more exciting than just plain salmon.

I would recommend this as a quick easy healthy supper - and I think if you try it you will be very pleasantly surprised!

No comments:

Post a Comment