Sunday 24 November 2013

LAMB FLATBREADS WITH HOUMOUS

Pascal is not happy with me at the moment as he thinks all I ever do is look at recipes and food related websites, write my blog or do Bikram yoga. He has given up the yoga already however I have fully embraced it. I have been 11 times in 20 days and I can notice the difference, I have dropped 5 lbs, I am sleeping better and I feel a lot better in myself - so much so that I have put my gym membership on hold and am concentrating on just the yoga. It has definitely helped decreased my food and alcohol intake....although I easily slip into my old ways at weekends....it can't be all about "namaste and my body is a temple" etc.

Yesterday was such a beautiful day - cold and crisp yet the sun was shining. Pascal and I went for a lovely walk along the river and then it was home to cook lunch. I had planned to cook this meal Thursday night but Pascal was late home from the city so I went on strike!!

I have several versions of this recipe that I have ripped out of magazines - this one required the least ingredients. I will write it out as we cooked it, for two people. However Pascal and I being the complete piglets that we are, we could have easily had more. If you are cooking this for supper or if you are starving I would definitely increase the ingredients by at least half (or Pascal recommends doubling them)!

Ingredients for 2 people:

2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
250g lamb mince
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 wholemeal bread wraps
230g houmous
1/4 x 28g pack of mint, leaves picked
1/4 x 28g pack parsley, leaves picked
Juice of 1 lemon


Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C / gas mark 4  - this is for the bread wraps - if you have a microwave, you can easily do them in that. I used to only ever "cook" in a microwave but now no longer have one, I don't miss it, but at times like this it makes heating easier and quicker.

In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the onion until translucent (about 3-4 minutes).


Add the lamb mince and cumin seeds (which I have to say smell amazing) and continue to fry until the mince is browned and is completely cooked. It can look like it's cooked after a couple of minutes but you do need to cook it for about 8 minutes.



Make sure the wraps are heated, then divide the houmous between the wraps and spoon over the lamb mince. Sprinkle with the mint and parsley, and drizzle with lemon juice....then voila!

Woweezers!! That was good - we folded them like a fajita to eat and demolished them in seconds. I always think fresh herbs are overrated but this is proof that they add so much flavour to dishes. I could not believe how much we liked this recipe, it is like a fresh, healthy, flavoursome kebab - we have been to Kebab Kid on the New Kings Road a couple of times but I would have this dish over them everyday of the week!!




No comments:

Post a Comment