Sunday 8 September 2013

TUNA BURGER WITH AVOCADO SALAD

As part of my post summer "detox" diet I decided to cook tuna burgers - you guys already know how much I love a cheese burger so I thought this would be a healthier option. My fiance Pascal especially turned his nose up at the thought of a burger without meat but they turned out surprisingly well. Of course it is not the same as a burger from Five Guys but they are not a bad alternative if you are trying to be good.

Ingredients for 6 burgers:

400g fresh tuna steaks (you can use frozen as long as it is thawed)
100g soft white breadcrumbs
Grated zest and juice of a lemon
3 tsp Dijon mustard
2 eggs beaten
2 tbsp olive oil
3 big tomatoes sliced
2 avocados sliced
1 red onion thinly sliced
Salt and Pepper
A ball of mozzarella (or two depending on how much you like cheese)!!

Place the tuna in a food processor and pulse until finally minced.

Put it in a large bowl and then mix with the breadcrumbs, mustard, beaten egg, lemon juice and lemon zest (god I hate grating a lemon)!



Separate into 6 burgers (damp hands make it easier) and chill for at least 20 minutes (the longer the better as then they don't fall apart - I chilled them for a couple of hours)


I then arranged the mozzarella, onion and tomato on a plate and seasoned and covered with a couple of spoonfuls of olive oil and put the avocado in a separate bowl (you could mix altogether if you like).

Finally to cook the burgers either fry them in a non stick frying pan for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and cooked through or barbecue them. I find tuna always cooks faster than you think.


And there you go! Pascal and I thought they were absolutely delicious - he raved about them - Arabella was not so happy about the burgers however once I put a dollop of mayo on her plate she then devoured them!

This supper is super easy to make and can easily be prepared before which I always like plus it is low in saturated fat and counts as one of your five a day.

If you like it hot, you can spice up the recipe by adding a teaspoon of wasabi or harissa paste when mixing the burgers or even put them in a bun with avocado and mayo if you are craving a proper burger!

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment