Wednesday 11 September 2013

ROXIE STEAK & WINE CAFE, FULHAM ROAD

After a weekend of hot dogs & pick n mix I should have got back on the straight & narrow on Monday - however my will power is terrible!! 

My daughter was staying with my ex husband & so it was kind of rude not to go out. As it was pouring with rain & completely grey & miserable outside (hello winter) we thought we'd go somewhere local. Obviously Gola was top of my list but seeing we are going there on Saturday we decided to branch out.  

On the Fulham Palace Road there is an Argentinian restaurant called Buenos Aires I have always wanted to try. It's basically a copy of Gaucho Grill but ten times cheaper. It doesn't however share their ambiance and pascal & I wondered whether we would be the only people eating there on a Monday night. How wrong could we be?!! 

It was actually hosting a kicking private party & wouldn't serve food for another hour - I so should have called before - what an error. 

As we were in the mood for meat we decided to go to Roxie Steak & Wine Cafe on the Fulham Road - we'd both been here a couple of times before & enjoyed it. I was shocked to see that Roxie was also busy - Monday night is obviously the new Thursday!! We managed to get a table at the back - both the booths were full at the front & the bar was pretty rammed. Service was extremely quick & we were offered water & an aperitif immediately. 

The menu had changed since I last went - but for the better - lots of great starters like a caprese salad with goats cheese, salt and pepper squid and thai beef salad. We went for the new cured meat platter which had boerewors, pancetta, chorizo, biltong, cornichons, toasted bread & chimichurri dipping sauce. It was delicious - perfect size for a starter. I especially loved the South African meats as they are very rare in restaurants over here (although the biltong was a bit chewy). 



For mains you can have steaks, surf & turf, mixed grill, or fish or risotto if you are not much of a carnivore. Don't die of shock but I had a burger!!! Surprise!!! 

Both Pascal & I had the cheese & bacon burger & we shared a side of fries & mushrooms. The waiter had said the minimum burgers can be cooked is medium rare. Pascal being french likes his moo-ing - the waiter passed this message on to the chef who cooked (or hardly cooked) Pascal's "bleu". I went down the more English route & had mine medium. Both were cooked to perfection & it was a tasty burger with cheddar cheese, a proper slice of bacon and mayo. 




It was not my best burger though....a bit too meaty for me & not enough cheese (!), plus it apparently comes with salad but it is more like a teeny weeny garnishing. Pascal really enjoyed his & would rush back for another. The chips were good and the mushrooms were incredible!! I could have had just them as a main - full of flavour with a touch of salt - delish!! 



We didn't have puddings & instead opted for a amaretto (it is my birthday week after all)! 

All in all, a good meal, I expect we will be coming back again soon although next time I will opt for a steak instead - probably the one that comes with boerewors & prawns (piglet) and definitely with the mushrooms on the side. 

Most steakhouses are so overpriced (Sophie's Steakhouse is so no longer "reasonable") however here you can enjoy good quality meat without breaking the bank.

http://roxiesteak.co.uk

803 Fulham Road,
London
SW6 5HE
Tel: 020 7371 5785
Email: fulham@roxiesteak.co.uk

Roxie Steak & Wine Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment